« Creepy | Main | Language police »

Tuesday, 24 August 2004



From the Intercultural Question Department:

Is a "basketball stand" the device that holds up a basketball hoop, through which one tosses a basketball to earn points? Here, "stands" are the seating for a game, although you usually only hear this at outdoor events where the seating is that temporary, metal, moveable kind.


Correct. In my case, it's a weighted base, post, hoop and backboard. What would you call it? None of which prevented yet another pasting in their game today. Maybe the Opals can produce something better :-)


Hmmm...I think we would just call it "the basketball hoop" (even though the repairs in this case aren't to the hoop proper, but rather the pole - I don't think we have a special name for the pole).

It occurred to me after I posted the question that I should have titled it "From the Divided By A Common Language Department" - that would have been more accurate. And, yes, the (ahem) "Dream Team" was more nightmarish than anything else. Can't say I'm too sorry - the whole lot can use a drubbing every now and again as far as I'm concerned.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)

July 2020

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Blog powered by Typepad

2019 Books

  • Books I'm Reading